Friday, October 4, 2013

League of Mercy, Tampa Thrift Store Review

People always ask me where I thrift shop. 
 Granted it isn't much help to anyone outside of Tampa, Florida,
but maybe you'll find this useful or at least entertaining. 
 
I shop at the League of Mercy on Hillsborough Ave every 3 months,
when I'm down this way for an appointment. 
 
*Prices are usually VERY good and reasonable.*
 
*I have good luck here with vintage jewelry, vintage dishes, and vintage furniture.*
 
*Tons of clothes for families here, but I don't find a lot of "vintage clothing" and hardly ever find vintage linens.
(but you should still look)
 
*If you have a good eye for vintage "junk" and
visit here often enough,you'll always find something fun.
 
*It's not the cleanest place, but it's not filthy.  I can handle it. 
I think most of this problem is poor lighting. 
 
*Not as many books as most thrift stores. Vinyl is slim.
 
*If you love vintage furniture and can reupholster, then this is your store.  I see really cool chairs here all the time, but I don't know how to reupholster,
I don't have time and it will junk up my garage waiting. 
 
*The check out lady is super sweet.  She doesn't speak English well.
Just practice your best Spanish and smile a lot.  :)
 
 
It's around the intersection of Hillsborough and Armenia right by the CVS. Parking is tight, and terrible.  It's easier to park at CVS and walk over.  There is also more parking in the back. 
 
These were some of today's finds which didn't come home with me. 
Just a fun sample of what you might find.
 
 Shut the front door!  Oh Andy!  RIP  Poor guy.  And I seriously wanted this vintage Polka Record but what would I do with it?  Decorate for Octoberfest? Records are .61 cents
 
OK, now this just made me mad.  I always look for Hank records and was excited to find this...
album cover.  What???  No record inside?  Dadgummit!
(Like lots of people we know...cool cover - empty)
 
I LOVED this white corner cabinet. 
I almost got it and want to go back and get it. 
It was very reasonable.  I can't remember,
but it was cheap and there is nothing wrong with it.
 
You know.... I love this chair. And if I thought about it long enough, I could have talked myself into it.  But I have NO yellow in my house. And this busy fabric would probably get on my nerves quickly.  But it was soooo pretty.  It had yellow birds on it. 
How can you not buy a chair with yellow birds on the fabric??  Really! 
 
This was a fabulous piece of heavy furniture in the super trendy "French she-she-foo-foo, let's paint it a sweet new color" style......Loved it, don't need it and don't have time to paint it.  $49.
 
I collect landscape oil paintings.  It was $4.00 and slightly damaged.  I thought and thought about it, because it looks like the road out to Muenster, Texas from Gainesville, Hwy 82. 
It didn't speak to me.  We didn't hit it off. 
We're on friendly terms though. 
 
I loved these Kenneth Cole leather loafers.  I thought they were golf shoes, but they weren't. 
Just loved them to pieces.  Size 7.  One size too small. 
Story of my thrifting life. 
 
Never, ever leave Lilly Pulitzer behind.  That is in the Thrifting 101 textbook. If she doesn't fit, you can hoard her for quilt fabric (or sell her on eBay).  $4.00 dress. 
A little high for my cheap self, but....what was the rule???
We never, ever leave Lilly Pulitzer behind.
Very good, class!
 
This...statue thingy...is...making...me...uncomfortable. 
It looks like he is trying to break her neck.  Weird Love. 
It takes all kinds, I guess.
I remember these things at the drug store when I was little. 
 
Broke my heart to leave Knowles behind.  There were several pieces of this pattern,
including this sugar bowl with a lid, which is rare. 
The set was under $10.00
 
I loved this vintage plaster Lion.  Sometimes things are so ugly, they work.  LOL
 
  If I was Catholic, I would have bought this vintage plaster Mary. 
She was so pretty. 
I just don't have a place for it and I'm not buying any more stock for Etsy right now.
And the cute little SOS pad frog...alas...
what is a vintage kitchen without one? 
 
And I LOVED this vintage plaster Jesus, but again, what would I do with Him?  I have a tradition of taking a picture of a Jesus, every time I'm in a thrift store and texting it to my daughter.  I hesitate to tell you it's a joke between us, because then you'll think I think Jesus is a joke...which He is not. 
It's just a little "Jesus at the Thrift Store" thing we have between the 2 of us. 
Sooooo...He was today's Jesus.
My daughter said it looked like He was doing gangsta signs. 
Jesus loves everyone, so maybe He is.
 
Not to change the subject or anything,
but is "Fall Of Giants " a good read? 
I like some of Ken Follett's other works, 
especially The Pillars of the Earth.
Wondering if this one is good too. 
 
Hahaha!  I laughed when I saw this book,
The Curse of the Good Girl, by Rachel Simmons. 
I totally know that girl! 
Being a good girl can be a curse....sometimes.  
 
and my favorite thing I did not buy today, which I might go back tomorrow and buy, just to keep in my purse so I can pull it out when someone is talking to me and I want them to SHUT UP...is...........
 
This bratty little girl holding her ears.  Boom!  
Stop talking.  Be quiet.   
 
PLEASE keep in my mind, these are the opinions of a biased stranger on the internet. 
Thrift store merchandise changes daily. 
If it's not good one visit, it might be good the next. 
What's cheap to one person, might be expensive to someone else. 
What's a rat hole to me, might be a gold mine to the next treasure hunter. 
Be fair when judging thrift stores as they are usually run for charity. 
I don't want someone to lose money because we caught them on a bad day.
 Have fun, keep an open mind and an open eye. 
Good luck!
 
***************************************************************
 
 
So far I only have 2 up, but I am a "professional thrifter"
and I have tons of hot spots to share with you. 
If you have any Florida thrift store recommendations,
please let me know. 
I would love to visit.
 ***************************************************************
 
Pooh says it's all Junk.  Rude!
 
Be blessed and Be a blessing.
Choose Joy.  

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I live right by here, and I've driven by a few times and wondered if I should check it out. Now I know I will! And thanks for the parking tip too.

Khammany said...

I want that chair!! And $49 for the sideboard?! You've got to be kidding me! Great deals for sure!

Thia said...

It was fun to "go" shopping with you! The statue of the girl holding her hands over her ears....too funny!

Sweet Woodruff said...

Thank you Sarah. I hope you enjoy it. I always do well there. Maybe if you stop more frequently, you'll have even better luck than me. :)

Sweet Woodruff said...

Khammany, weren't they great deals? Wish I had the time to mess with them. The furniture had great bones and structure.

Sweet Woodruff said...

Thanks Thia. It was fun, huh? LOL Wish we were closer and could go all the time.

Lesa said...

If you ever decide to come a little further south, like about two hours south of Tampa, I've got a thrift shop for you. Let me know and I'll give you the address! It's fabulous, the size of a Publix store, well-lit, friendly volunteer help and most things are beautifully priced. My son volunteers in the book room and there are several thousand books there. As you can imagine, things sell quickly and the stock changes by the hour (or so my son exaggerates!)

Several years ago I bought a version of the little ear girl and her companion for my father-in-law. The companion is boy statue, playing a horn like my FIL played. He loved the joke!

Sweet Woodruff said...

Yes Lesa, that sounds wonderful. Is it Sarasota? Let me know! I'll drive any where for a good thrift store. :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll write down these in my travel journal...I never know where we might drive. If you get up to the Ocala area...I've done reviews on 2 of my favorite thrift stores here. I still have 1 more fav to do! I think we have the best thrift stores EVER! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the empty Hank album cover... someone probably took it...

Sarah said...

You should definitely go back and get the corner cabinet.! If I had anywhere to put it , it would have come home with me. I love roaming around thrift stores too - but I'm not a professional like you! We've got several good stores in out area if you ever make it all the way to Alabama !

Sarah

Vanessa said...

I have so many "Things I Didn't Buy" posts to play catch-up on, aaah! Thanks for the reminder ;) fun post

Lesa said...

Hey! Me again! It's in North Fort Myers, two hours south of Tampa and one hour below Sarasota, driving I-75. There's a fabulous shop in Naples too, St. Matthew's, specializing in high-end goodies. Let me know if you're headed this way and I'll be more specific. Or email me using my addy on the blog. Have a fun day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...